Monday, July 30, 2007

Happy Ending

The green ferns lightly glaze the water's edge. The morning air is crisp and fresh, and she takes several deep breaths. Twigs crunch lightly underfoot as her soft muslin skirt drags on the ground behind her. She walks slowly, eyes wandering around the place she used to frequent as a child. It was funny that a place that gave her so many happy memories when she was growing up now attracted her in times of sadness.

Wake up in the morning, stumble on my life
Can't get no love without sacrifice
If anything should happen, I guess I wish you well
A little bit of heaven, but a little bit of hell

This is the hardest story that I've ever told
No hope, or love, or glory
Happy endings gone forever more
I feel as if I feel as if I'm wastin'
And I'm wastin' everyday


The sunlight peeks through thick branches of green leaves, rays of emerald spilling on the ground, forming patterns on the scattered remains of what used to hang high above her head. She kicked at them absently, noting how alike they were to her current state... desolate and forgotten...

2 o'clock in the morning, something's on my mind
Can't get no rest; keep walkin' around
If I pretend that nothin' ever went wrong, I can get to my sleep
I can think that we just carried on

This is the hardest story that I've ever told
No hope, or love, or glory
Happy endings gone forever more
I feel as if I feel as if I'm wastin'
And I'm wastin' everyday


She finally reaches her destination. The water gurgles happily, blissfully unaware of the pain that tears at her heart. There were way more ferns than 20 years ago, she notes, and they cover the entire edge of the lake clamouring for the water as they stretch out their leafy arms. She gracefully navigates her way through the thick foliage to the water's edge, her hands balled into fists.

This is the way you left me,
I'm not pretending.
No hope, no love, no glory,
No Happy Ending.
This is the way that we love,
Like it's forever.
Then live the rest of our life,
But not together.

A little bit of love, little bit of love
Little bit of love, little bit of love...

As the water laps at her sandals, she opens her palm. Nestled safely within, her wedding band dazzles, the diamonds catching the sunlight and shattering it into a spectrum of colours; a stark contrast to the dull greyness in her heart. She stares at it dully then shuts her eyes tightly, screwing up her face as if to banish the memories from her mind. Finally her shoulders slumping, she lets out a sigh of defeat.

This is the way you left me,
I'm not pretending.
No hope, no love, no glory,
No Happy Ending.
This is the way that we love,
Like it's forever.
Then live the rest of our life,
But not together.

As the words reverberate in her head, she slowly tilts her hand, watching the ring slide off her palm into the water with a soft plop as it sinks into the murky depths. In spite of herself, her lips curve into a sardonic smile as she reflects how ironic it was that the place she had planned her 'happily ever after' should bear witness to its demise as her dream came crashing down around her ears...

No comments: